Mindfulness is becoming a more popular practice as a part of yoga and daily meditation. Essential oils can enhance this experience for humans, and are used as natural treatment options to modern medicine; however, they are not always safe for dogs.
The AKC published an online article, Are Essential Oils Safe for Dogs? There are Quite a Few Risks Involved. Here are some highlights from the article (AKC, 2018):
- Oils can irritate your dogs skin
- Because the oils are metabolized by the liver, they are “especially problematic for puppies and young dogs, dogs with liver disease, and elderly dogs” (AKC, 2018)
- Can cause an upset stomach if ingested
- Can lead to changes in behavior
- Cause adverse central nervous system effects and respiratory problems
The essential oils that are poisonous to dogs if ingested or spread on the skin:
- sweet birch
- tea tree
- ylang ylang
Please talk to your veterinarian before considering using essential oils to treat dogs.